Testimonials Shop News Specials Catalogue Contact Forum Blog My Account My Edibles
50 percent off when you pre order
50 percent off when you pre orderMulti Grafted VarietiesRare and Collectable treesUse these promo codes to get special offers when placing a new order
Forum Rules | Updates
<< Back to Daleys Fruit Tree Forum

Pig manure

8 responses

amanda starts with ...
First time I have used this manure - anyone ever had problems with it? It's 5 months old but some of the big clods have an ammonia smell? I have been under the impression that this could burn plants?
I can't believe it still generally stinks so much after 5 months!? Not one for surburbia! :-)))
About the Author
amanda19
Geraldton. WA
22nd April 2010 6:27pm
#UserID: 2309
View All amanda19's Edible Fruit Trees

Reply | | Remember to LIKE this Answer(0) LIKE this Question (0)
snottiegobble says...
Hi Amanda, yeah pig poo is very moist fresh, & because pigs tend to drop it in the same spot in the sty it doesnt get time to dry out. Because they are omnivores (like us) the bacterial count in the manure is very high, & being so moist it literally stinks ( like diarhoea) for a very long time. It usually needs 12 months in a big pile to break down. Only the striped tiger worms seem to be able to stand the environment.
About the Author
snottiegobble
bunbury
23rd April 2010 12:24am
#UserID: 3468
View All snottiegobble's Edible Fruit Trees

amanda says...
Thanks snottiegobble - I need to use it now - maybe I should water it in really well do u think?
About the Author
amanda19
Geraldton. WA
23rd April 2010 9:33am

kert says...
Oh , Gosh! This is a very dangerous manure . Pork tape worm ,Listeria and who knows how many Salmonella species. I think it would be safer to use black water if you do not have the appropriate protective gear.
About the Author

sydney
24th April 2010 9:27am
#UserID: 0
Reply | Edit | | Remember to LIKE this Answer(0) LIKE this Question (0)
amanda says...
I have noticed that the veg bed with the pig manure is holding water twice as long as the bed with sheep poo...I don't know why tho'.

Hmnn..pork tapeworm is pratically extinct in Aust - that's why you don't have to cook pork to death anymore, thankfully!
It's also illegal to feed pigs meat (swill?) now...?
About the Author
amanda19
Geraldton. WA
25th April 2010 11:31am

snottiegobble says...
I dont think adding water is a good idea.
You need for it to break down & dry out & adding water will deter that. I can only suggest that as you spread it mix with something else like a cheap potting mix,or even peastraw. Anything to open it up so the air can get into it.
About the Author
snottiegobble
bunbury
27th April 2010 12:24am
#UserID: 3468
View All snottiegobble's Edible Fruit Trees

Brendan says...
Hi amanda,
For what it's worth, our neighbour used to pile the pig poo in a heap and compost it for ~ 12 months. She then applied this sparingly to her terrible gravelly soil, under the mulch.
I was always impressed with the tomatoes and lettuce (& other veg), that she grew:-)
About the Author
Brendan
Mackay, Q
27th April 2010 6:22am
#UserID: 1947
View All Brendan's Edible Fruit Trees

amanda says...
Ta Brendan! I will use just a little and see how it goes - it has lots of straw in it. I have your seeds ready to send too (better late than never!? :-)
About the Author
amanda19
Geraldton. WA
27th April 2010 9:21am

amanda says...
Feedback: Pig manure is great! My vegies are growing beautifully with it. Worms love it and the sand is definitely not as water repellent.
About the Author
amanda19
Geraldton. WA
22nd June 2010 9:52am

REPLY to this forum

Login or Create Account

<< Back to Daleys Fruit Tree Forum